image via: my natural family
In the Southern hemisphere, we are heading into the colder months. I’ve always been more of a winter child than a summer one, and nothing is better to me than fuzzy socks, warm blankets, and hot savory meals.
I found this recipe for paleo meatloaf muffins and thought it would be great to share with you. I’m trying to both eat healthier and learn to cook, so this recipe seems easy enough to attempt, but still looks delicious.
Here’s the recipe:
Paleo Meatloaf Muffins (makes 12 muffins).
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 4 Medium tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Small onion finely diced
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrot grated
- 3 button mushrooms finely diced
- 1 Small zucchini grated
- 1/8 Cup fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/8 Cup parsley chopped
- 20 oz. ground turkey
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 Cup roasted tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit/190 degrees Celsuis.
- Place the halved tomatoes, cut side up, on a greased baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil over the tops. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes for 1 1/2-2 hours on the top rack.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Place the roasted tomatoes, honey, balsamic vinegar,tomato paste, water, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard, garlic powder and salt in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Use in and on top of meatloaf muffins.
- Can be made a day or two ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit/200 degrees Celsius and lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Heat the olive oil to medium/high in a large saute pan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, mushrooms,zucchini, and herbs to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and onions are translucent.
- Place the sauteed vegetables in a large bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, pork,tomato sauce, eggs, egg whites, coconut milk, coconut flour, salt, and pepper to the vegetables and mix together very well using hands.
- Let sit for 5 minutes so that the coconut flour can fully absorb liquid.
- Divide the meat mixture into 12 portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball and place in well of a muffin tin.
- Muffins will be tall and dome shaped on top.
- Bake meatloaf muffins for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and, using a spoon, lift the meatloaf muffins out of the tin onto a platter.
- Scrape off any fat that may have clung to the sides of the muffins.
- Top each muffin with a spoonful of the remaining roasted tomato sauce(make sure it is hot).
- Serve immediately